In Italian food there is no dish as famous as Eggplant Parmigiana — sometimes just referred to as Eggplant Parm. This hearty dish could run you upwards of $20 at any nice restaurant and maybe $12 or more at the takeout, or you could easily make it at home like I did for under $5 per serving.
Eggplant Parmigiana is very easy to make.
First, let me give you my shopping list.
- 1 Eggplant
- 1 Egg
- 1 box of pasta (linguine or spaghetti)
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Grated Mozzarella Cheese
- Spaghetti Sauce (or you could make your own)
And I’m going to assume you have a baking dish along with a pot to boil the pasta…
Next, the easy cooking instructions…
- Pre-heat your oven to 375, during the pre-heat time you should start the water boiling for your pasta, then cut the eggplant into thin slices, about 1/2 inch. You can leave on the skin for the extra nutrition.
- In a small dish, stir the egg until it’s fully mixed, then pour in the bread crumbs and grated Parmesan cheese. Around 1/4 of a cup should do.
- Spray the non-stick cooking spray onto your pan, and put in the slices of eggplant. As soon as the oven is at temperature. put the pan in for about 20 minutes. Set your timer — thanks google! — and then turn over the slices after about 20 minutes and cook for another 15 mins.
- Cook the spaghetti and warm up the sauce on the stovetop. You’ll want to begin this process after the water is boiling. So you may be cooking pasta, while you are in the previous step.
- After the 35 mins, keep the pan in the oven and spread the spaghetti sauce and top the eggplant with mozzarella cheese. Keep it in the oven for about 3-5 more minutes, until the cheese melts.
You might want to think during this process of adding a few spices, salt and pepper, oregano, bay leaves?
The final step is to put it on a plate pair it with your favourite wine and enjoy.
Leonard Goffe is an author, writer and journalist based in South Florida. He is available for your public relations, content development, SEO and technical writing needs.
What stops you from making the change you need in your life? Are bad habits stopping you from success? How will you make your own Success Story? Find out how to achieve lasting change…